• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: M's Roadtrip: May 3rd - 9th

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

David Byrne Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live
How could he not know this wasn't going to work when all of us amateurs could see it wouldn't work. The only one that surprises me is Garver. I thought we would get more out of him and I think we ultimately still will. But the rest? Nah, I don't expect them to do much more than what they are doing now.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We knew the pitching couldn't sustain the level it was at.

Now, can they bounce back at home against a lower level of team?

They will need strong pitching from Woo to start it off on the right foot.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's this 'marine layer' thingy you speak of? I think you spelled 'Justin Smoak' wrong. "I nutted that thing. It should have gone out!" Fucking cry baby. I don't think I ever heard a reference to the marine layer before we traded for Smoak. The infamous marine layer was never a problem for Boone and Edgar in the early days of Safeco Field. Wasn't a problem for Sexson or Ibanez or Cruz or even part timers like Russell Branyan.
Funny I was just talking to my brother about all these K's and how it is contagious and blamed on all these environmental things. Yet we had the greatest hitter of his generation play for us in that ballpark and set the hits record.

I think everybody but Jerry knows that we keep getting older, past their prime players whose bats are slowing down. That is why I wanted Arraez so bad. He would have shown that if you get a hitter in his prime, he will hit.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it seems like it is just the Mariners. And how can a vet be of one level for his career and then come here and just become a totally different player? Cruz and Cano are abut the only two outsiders I can think of that played to their own level. Are the Mariners just baseball purgatory and they all give up?
K’s are up though in the whole sport I guess was more what I was getting at. Divish brought up a good point earlier is that outside of Winker, every one they have brought in was on the down turn or a buy low guy and hope they return to their career average. Garver’s and Polanco’s k rate supposedly were the highest they’d had last year. And Haniger is a guy who shouldn’t be playing everyday.

I think it’s more a sign of cheap ownership. The two prime examples of guys who they bought high on were Cano and Cruz. They bought high on Sexson and I will still argue his first two years were more than worth the money. Beltre was anaomly because he was perfect for the ballpark except the time he was a Mariner. Dude was a line drive gap hitter his entire career except his FA year and when he played in Seattle where all he wanted was to pull the ball and hit home runs. So it’s a long winded way of saying you get what you pay for especially since Seattle hasn’t had a no name minor leaguer come up and become a stud like basically every other championship team

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's this 'marine layer' thingy you speak of? I think you spelled 'Justin Smoak' wrong. "I nutted that thing. It should have gone out!" Fucking cry baby. I don't think I ever heard a reference to the marine layer before we traded for Smoak. The infamous marine layer was never a problem for Boone and Edgar in the early days of Safeco Field. Wasn't a problem for Sexson or Ibanez or Cruz or even part timers like Russell Branyan.
Or legend Bucky Jacobsen

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That Sucks The Office GIF

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So no marine layer tonight. 6 runs, 11 hits, and only 7 strikeouts then right?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Woo on the bump tonight.

Also JP to start his rehab stint in Tacoma as soon as maybe tomorrow.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K’s are up though in the whole sport I guess was more what I was getting at. Divish brought up a good point earlier is that outside of Winker, every one they have brought in was on the down turn or a buy low guy and hope they return to their career average. Garver’s and Polanco’s k rate supposedly were the highest they’d had last year. And Haniger is a guy who shouldn’t be playing everyday.

I think it’s more a sign of cheap ownership. The two prime examples of guys who they bought high on were Cano and Cruz. They bought high on Sexson and I will still argue his first two years were more than worth the money. Beltre was anaomly because he was perfect for the ballpark except the time he was a Mariner. Dude was a line drive gap hitter his entire career except his FA year and when he played in Seattle where all he wanted was to pull the ball and hit home runs. So it’s a long winded way of saying you get what you pay for especially since Seattle hasn’t had a no name minor leaguer come up and become a stud like basically every other championship team
Ya I guess my premise, and everyone else that has a brain, was right, bad players equal bad stats. That seems too simple, but sometimes the simplest is the right answer.

I did see where league averages are around .240 on average. That is insane. But interesting, K's aren't really up.

League averages.jpg

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team intentionally picks the fat kid off the end of the bench in the first round of a pickup game.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya I guess my premise, and everyone else that has a brain, was right, bad players equal bad stats. That seems too simple, but sometimes the simplest is the right answer.

I did see where league averages are around .240 on average. That is insane. But interesting, K's aren't really up.

View attachment 361849
Really? I would’ve put money on K’s are up from the previous “Moneyball” era. To me it seems the philosophy of HR, BB or K along with the pitching philosophy of just throwing as hard as possible has led to a massive increase in K’s. Guess numbers don’t lie but it just seems if you listen to anyone on any platform they are complaining about K’s.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to hand it to Dylan Moore. .
3 hits .a hr 5rbis..I never seen..him play .so we'll ..

I don't think he ever has .
Lolololool

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that with young guys, but how do 10 year vets come in and just collapse? I mean immediately. Curse of the KingdomeI tell you!
Seems like Seattle picks up the wrong vets on the back end of their careers.